Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fall's Here

Fall=School.

I started school last week. So far it's kicking my butt. See, this past summer when I was signing up for classes for this fall I decided it would be a good idea to take an extra class this quarter, because there's one quarter that I need to do that so I'm not taking one class for a quarter just so I can graduate. I signed up for 2 English classes, British lit and Critical Writing, a Theatre class that explores world censorship, and History 141 (East Asia).

After my first day of classes I learned that I was expected to read:
-A total of 3 novels plus supplemental readings and reading from the text book for British Lit
-1 novel, plus a sort-of text book for Critical Writing
-1 novel and 1 play for Theatre
-About 16 chapters of a text book and supplemental readings for History (11 pt font and almost no pictures in this text book [which I know sounds childish but it breaks up the monotony of the dry prose] and chock full of text.)

Along with that:
-2 3 page papers and a final paper for Critical Writing
-2 3 page papers, a final paper, and an oral presentation for British Lit
-A paper and an oral presentation for Theatre
-A paper for History

Yeah. That's 8 papers and 2 oral presentations. That's one per week of the quarter.

I was stressed out already.

No way am I going to be able to accomplish all of this and work to pay rent and remain a sane person (Not to mention I'd have next to no knitting time!).

So I dropped my History class. The 2 English classes were specifically required for my major and if I dropped Theatre (Also filled a requirement, but wasn't the specific class needed) I'd have to wait 2 hours for my History class to start after my 2nd English class.

It's still going to be a busy quarter, but at least now I don't feel like it'll be next to impossible.


Okay, now for something fun.

I finished my Wonderful Boyfriend's Hat (guess who named it). I wasn't sure about this hat in the beginning. The BF picked the pattern, and I liked it okay. You make the twists by ktbl of the 2nd st on the left needle and slipping the 1st purl wise. It wasn't exactly fun to make but it was interesting and it was what he wanted. I also wasn't sure about how the colors were stacking up. They were bunching in weird places, some spots had almost no blue and some had a lot (I liked the blue best so I judged it by the amount of blue).

But, the final product was well worth it.


DSCF0233

DSCF0234

(He thinks he looks crappy in this picture so I cropped the one that went on Ravelry, but I think it's a good one and he doesn't read my blog.)

DSCF0230


I pretty much love him.


Anyhow, I love the pooling of the colors and the way the twists look and the way it spirals on top. I think this may be my favorite FO (Next to Unoriginal Hat-Mine).

The yarn is Malabrigo Worsted in Arrecife. It's lovely and wonderful. Mmm.



Heavenly Creations (My LYS of choice) got a big Malabrigo shipment in and I kind of splurged on it. I bought said yarn for said hat, also 2 skiens of Malabrigo Silky in Stone Chat (scroll to the bottom). It's delicious and has been cast on as a Clapotis scarf. It's delicious and I can't wait to wear it.


I also purchased Malabrigo Lace Weight in Verde Adrianna, a gorgeous green. It's going to become the Muir for my grandmother with one repeat to make a scarf instead of a wrap. I love this pattern and I might end up doing it again for myself.

In other news, I began the sleeve for Emerald. It took me forever to figure out how to cast on and work in the round with two circulars. I ended up trying out the magic loop. On my Denises.

All was fine and dandy, tra la la, until I decide to take a minute (after 5.5" or so of sleeve) to see how it looks.

Ladders. 2 of them. Bad. I'd been tightening the first stitch on the new needle every row. Why?! Why ladders?! Sigh. I've ripped it out and restarted, but I managed to get it on 2 circs and I think I'll be fine now.


Moral of the story? Don't ML with Denises.


TTFN

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails