Thursday, February 26, 2009

Spinning, spinning...

Soooo I told you all that I ordered this spindle. It arrived (to my glee) on Saturday and I immediately took it out and admired it:

Photobucket

(Plz excuse flash photography)

I also admired the gorgeous fiber that Jesh was kind enough to send me to get started on. =) The pink is some Corriedale, and the white is Alpaca. Love it! You can see some of the pink spun up on Jesh's blog.

I ordered the spindle after talking to Jesh on a whim because Heavenly Creations was having a spindle spinning class the 28th. So I signed up and ordered my spindle. However, to my dismay, the class had to be canceled due to a wrist surgery that the teacher had to have. Bleh. So I bought some black Shetland to use as a practice fiber since the stuff Jesh sent is too pretty to make crappy yarn out of.. hehe.

But, it was a little difficult trying to do it myself using Youtube videos as teachers. So I did a little research and found out that Shetland is difficult for beginners to spin. Sooo I tried out the Alpaca for a little bit. I didn't do much better with that. Boo. It seems Spinning isn't as easy to teach ones self as knitting.

But, ah a silver lining! The class is rescheduled for the 14th of March and I'm sooo there. =)



So, I have another confession. I haven't been working out. At all. Yuck. I lost about 8 lbs by the end of January, and I had an extremely busy week where I gave up on any kind of exercise or eating properly, and that carried through February until, well, today.

I gained 2.5 lbs back of the 8 that I lost, which is depressing a little. But I am taking steps to make sure I have better success than I did last time.

I've been trying to lose weight since I was in middle school, and I've obviously never done a very good job of it. January was the most progress I've made in a long time. A lot of that progress was due to sparkpeople.com, where I tracked everything I ate everyday and so I got a healthy dose of reality when it came to what I was actually eating. Obviously when I fell off track I stopped tracking everything I ate.

The reason I'm posting about this is to keep myself more responsible about what I'm doing- if I'm keeping track of it publicly I'm less likely (In theory) to 'fall off the bandwagon' I took a step towards that in January, when I put up that weight loss tracker on the side of my blog. But I stopped reporting to that too when I stopped losing weight.

So I'm counting on some of my regular readers to keep me in line (I mean like.. leave me a comment saying "You didn't check in, missy!" ;-]). I plan on doing a mini check in about 3 days a week on my exercise. Nothing major, just a sentence or two at the end of a blog post, because I don't want to turn this into a boring "I worked out on the elliptical for 30 minutes today, and I ate..." blog. I decided to start the Couch to 5K running plan which has a 10 week schedule. I think that working towards a goal with my exercise instead of just thinking that I need to do it will also be a help.

Another step I've taken towards this goal is to sign up for a Weight Training class next quarter. This class will be M/W/F 8:30-9:18 (I know, our class periods are odd). Hopefully this class will teach me proper strength training techniques and get me a little more toned for vacation in June.

So, here are my goals:

1) Check in on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday or Sunday with an update of the Couch to 5K running plan (Ex.: "Workout 1 Week 1 completed).
2) Weigh in on Thursday mornings and update the tracker
3) 185 by 3/30/2009
4) 170 by 6/7/2009
5) Track daily calories on www.sparkpeople.com

Today I completed Workout 1 of Week 1. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found it harder to spin on a spindle than a wheel - and a lot faster on the wheel, too. I don't even touch my spindle anymore. I think my problem, though, was that I like to spin thin yarn and my spindle was too heavy for how thin I was trying to get it.

And I want to the the couch to 5k thing sooooo bad! But I have a terrible time getting to the gym and it's not warm enough out for me to try jogging around our neighborhood or even dig the bikes out. :(

Anonymous said...

I think it is much harder to teach yourself to spin than it is to teach yourself to knit. If you can find someone who can show you how it's done and give you a few pointers, it'll probably help a lot.

And good luck with your exercise plan! I think you're right - it's always better to have a goal to work toward!

Related Posts with Thumbnails