Monday, May 31, 2010

The Move

Hi all! Today, finally, I don't have a million things that I need to get done, so I thought I'd go ahead and do a little recounting of our journey, along with some photos that I managed to capture. Most of them are from the window of the moving truck, because we didn't make many stops and none of them were for scenic purposes.

I have to say that I was dreading the 4 day drive across the country, I'm not one for long road trips. It actually ended up being okay, though. In part because my boyfriend did absolutely all of the driving. Seriously. I only drove the truck when we picked it up on Monday. He felt bad because he sprained his ankle and wasn't able to help me load the truck, so he did all of the driving.

We split the move up into 4 days, so we wouldn't be driving all day every day. We also visited some Ravelry friends in Tulsa, OK. It was so amazing to meet them! The lovely and generous Kat allowed us to stay in her home over night. She is possibly one of the sweetest people I've ever met! Her kids and husband were awesome and in general they were a joy to be around. I also got to meet Calista as well at their weekly knit meeting (It was purely coincidental that we happened to be staying there on Wednesday which is when they meet. It was awesome to meet some local knitters!) Silly me, I left my camera in the car, but Kat managed to get some great pictures which I will now steal:

This is Calista and Me, as well as her Dread Bump Wesley (Baby bump!) and some friends. See that snail? I made that in on the drive to Tulsa for her. It's from the Amigurumi Knits book.

Kat took a couple of pictures of it before he went to his new home. He's made with acrylic and cotton so as to be easy to clean if the baby gets anything on him. It's an adorable pattern, but so fiddly! I grafted about 130 stitches, 90 for the shell and 40 for the snail body. Gah! You can't argue with the adorable results, though.

So, day 1 we drove to St. Louis, MO.

St Louis Arch.*

Day 2 to Tulsa, OK. Day 3 was our longest day. We drove from Tulsa, OK to Holbrook, AZ. It ended up being about 15 hours of driving. Ugh! We went through 2 time zones, so even though we left around 8 AM, we got to Holbrook around 9 PM.

Wind energy in OK.*

The flat, flat panhandle of TX.*

Cool plateau in NM.

We drove through a rain/hail storm in NM on a mountain. It was scary!*

The end of the storm. The sky looked so cool!*

Day 4 we finally made it to Tempe, AZ. We got the keys to our apartment. We arrived around 1 PM, just in time for the hottest part of the day, so we ended up going out to lunch and doing some shopping before we unloaded anything.

Mountain in AZ.*

More mountains!


We spend the weekend unloading the truck, unpacking a bit, and furniture shopping. Every night I've gone to bed exhausted. Today is the first day I haven't had a million things to do and it's kind of weird.

Once we get our couch delivered and have the apartment set up to our satisfaction then I will take some pictures and post them. I think it will be a great living space. The apartment is a little long, but that's okay. It has 2 balconies as well as a garage and a washer/dryer. We are very pleased with it.

And since I think that's about enough information to pack into one post, I'm going to leave it at that. =)

*These pictures were taken with my Droid phone because either I didn't have my camera, or I was sending them via picture message.


KellieBelle said...

YAY! Sounds like a fun trip! I also dreaded our 2.5 day drive up to Boston mostly because DH was driving the moving van and I was driving the Jeep, so it was both of us driving the whole way. Walkie-talkie's kept us sane. I can't wait to see the pics. I think it's totally awesome that you got to meet some Rav folks on the way......

Proud Mama said...

Welcome to Tempe. I found you from your Shalom sweater mods. I also live in Tempe. There are quite a few yarn shops and a fairly active SNB group that meets on Weds at Duck and Decanter in Phx.

Related Posts with Thumbnails